Slightly OT - sync Blackberry, iPhone with Linux

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> A couple of issues with the Blackberry curve, (1) is inability to sync
> (primarily notes and contacts) with Linux. Calendar syncs with Google
> pretty well. (2) memory. The Curve has 64MB internal memory.
> One requirement is that the unit must have GPS bult-in. The Curve 8310
> does. The apps I use constantly are notes (memos), contacts, tasks,
> calendar, web access, Google maps, Google Mail. Right now I think that
> only the newer Curve 8900 and iPhone meet my requirements.
> Unfortunately, Android phones will not be available on AT&T for a while.
>
> Currently, Barry backup allows me to backup my Blackberry on Linux.
>
> My options are ? - stick with my current Curve possibly until I decide
> to switch to a new carrier or Android is available.
> ? ?- ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? - ?upgrade to Curve 8900 advantage
> more memory, but does not support 3G.
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?- Upgrade to Blackberry Bold (256MB) - Has
> both WiFi and GPS, does not have 3G.
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?- upgrade to iPhone - Meets my needs, but I
> think it may be overkill, but 3G is faster than EDGE.
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?- upgrade to Palm Pre I am on AT&T wireless,
> but the Palm Pre will be available in 2010. For sync purposes, the Palm has
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?always sync'd up well with Linux. Also has
> GPS and WiFI as well as 3G.
>
> WRT: Syncing. While I can sync at work and backup at home, I would like
> to be able to access my contacts and notes from home. With the
> popularity of the iPhone, it does appear that there are some methods to
> sync on Linux.

Cannot recommend any of the non-3G Blackberry phones.  We had a
fly-off between vzw and at&t last year.  The vzw BBs were 3G (8830s)
and significantly faster.  The at&t phones had about the same
coverage, but not having 3G hamstrung them as every action related to
the exchange accounts behind them took forever.  Out of four people
issued the nice looking at&t "edge" blackberry phones, none used them
after a couple months, and insisted anyone call them on personal cells
as they wouldn't even carry them.

I carry the vzw BB and a personal iPhone.  It is a bit schizo but I like it.

MEG