Cheap-ish video card recommendation

David Kramer wrote:
 > My current confusion is this: Duh, there's no audio in the DVI
> connector, and there's no way to tell my TV "when the current input is
> HDMI4, use the audio input jack from the PC (DB15) port", so there's no
> audio.  But then I did some poking around (four different websites, and
> I can't a cable that has a DVI and headphone plug on one side and HDMI
> on the other, so the HDMI on the TV end will have audio.
>
> If the only difference in the signal of DVI and HDMI is that DVI doesn't
> have audio, how can such a cable not exist?  Am I the only person on the
> planet not sending the audio from their computer to their TV?

OK, answering my own post, I looked at the HDMI spec and figured out
that the audio is part of the digital signal, not something that rides
along on its own pins in analog.  Anything injecting audio would have to
add it as data, so a dongle or cable can't do it.  That sucks for me.  I
guess I can Y the output and send it to my receiver too, but since the
DVI picture isn't any better than the analog one...

Sorry for the decreasing relevance to Linux here, even though this is a
Linux box I'm talking about.