Discuss Digest, Vol 26, Issue 18

On Dec 19, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Rich Braun wrote:

> Jarod said:
>> I'd use one
>> of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux clones or an Ubuntu LTS release or something
>> like that. Not sure if anyone has ever tried a SLES clone, or if Novell even
>> makes it possible...
>
> I can't even imagine going down the Red Hat road... see my previous posts on
> *that* topic.

Yes, I recall that, which is why I said "or Ubuntu LTS .. SLES clone, if exists".

> That said, my approach is agnostic about the distro.

Well, then why not pool resources, and base off one of the existing mythtv-centric distros?

> If I were
> to publish the distro, I'd strip it down even more than I already have.  RH
> makes it /really/ a challenge to integrate new-media software whereas most of
> it works off the shelf from OpenSUSE combined with PackMan.

I call horsefeathers. Using OpenSUSE + PackMan is marginally different media software-wise than using Fedora + RPM Fusion and/or ATrpms. If you're trying to compare OpenSUSE + PackMan to a Red Hat Enterprise Linux + media setup, see my earlier reply about how your comparison between OpenSUSE with RHEL is, well, wrong, because they're two very different beasts. But there's actually some very good multimedia repos for RHEL too (i.e., ATrpms -- http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/ ).

> It all depends on
> what you've personally had the most experience with, and my 3 years of RH
> can't compared to my 10+ years of SuSE.

Yep, that'll make a difference. For what its worth, I'm more or less 13 years of Red Hat and Fedora experience vs. 7 years of SuSE/SLES/OpenSUSE experience, with the bulk of it being in the 3-5 years ago range though (I did lots of work on SLES9 in massive cluster deployments working for Linux Networx).

> But yes, my proposed distro is more or less stillborn without help, be it
> volunteer or heavily funded by stock options, hefty salaries and that whole
> ball of wax.

...which is another reason why I'd base it off an existing mythtv-centric distro, not create a whole new one from scratch.

> As a hiring manager on my current day job in Kendall Square,
> I've been understaffed for years and *still* have multiple openings for
> Linux/DBA people with basically no-limit salary range.  So I doubt the
> volunteer labor is available today despite all the talk of recession.

No-limit salary range, eh? :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org