LVM, usb drives, Active Directory

On Dec 16, 2009, at 12:07 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> The OP's proposed solution was for 10 1TB USB drives. Depending on some

I think I missed a bit of that and assumed flash, but everything that holds for USB flash holds for all USB mass storage.  In the end USB, even USB2, is terrible for disk performance and reliability.  USB was designed for slow devices like keyboards and mice not fast devices like disks.

If I already had the drives then I'd crack open all the cases, remove the drives, see what the real underlying interfaces are, and buy a suitable enclosure for them.  If not then as you suggest I'd buy an enclosure and appropriate drives for it.  All that said, I would consider FireWire if I were severely limited by budget but the difference between FireWire and eSATA is either negligible or probably leaning in favor of eSATA right now.

--Rich P.