I'm thinking of launching a MythTV distro website

If you get a lot of the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome from these
distributions
then you have a case for another 'really open' distribution.

I understand about the 'rock solid' ability to put it at grandma's house part.

You can always just 'throw it out there' and see how it is received.
If the market sees it as adding value, either by approach or especially
quality of delivered product that is perceived as more
stable/maintainable/usable
you will probably get quite a following quickly.

One of the biggest complements another distro could give you is to embrace
your change in approach and become as stable.

Other that from direct followers, don't expect accolades.  From what I have
seen, developers and suppliers catch grief from all sides.  So if you aren't
doing this because you are driven, you can keep your stress level down
by not doing your own distro.  But if you are personally driven to do it,
go for it!  A web site for a distro is cheap, and possibly free ...

In all this, I don't want to talk you out of it, but understanding the
costs to you
(personal, stress, $$, time, effort, grief) up front can help make the
whole process
more pleasant and fulfilling for you.

On the hardware side, I see the point about it is a moving target, and
the TV boards
are still changing quite often.  Specifying the microcode level and hardware
revision of supported boards without a huge lab to test in becomes problematic.

The best bet there is if you could become a 'mythtv support for xyz
hardware company',
so they can provide you a direct line to their back room engineers and their
hardware (even before it hits the streets so it could be
'pre-qualified' for myth!).
I have a friend that became a Digium developer after doing that with Asterisk
for some time. ... a good gig if you can get it!

Let us know what you decide!

BTW, I cannot get cable (not with the $25K install fee) so I really need MythTV
to do a DVR of broadcast thing and maintain a DVD/online library for me.  Also
with minimal $$ income, adding a monthly satellite bill is not in the
plans either.