I'm thinking of launching a MythTV distro website

On Dec 14, 2009, at 10:34 PM, Rich Braun wrote:

> Over the past 18 months I've gone back & forth with trying to get MythTV up
> and running correctly at my house.
>
> The latest distros from OpenSUSE (11.2 on 12-Nov) and MythTV (0.22 on 4-Nov)
> lead me to believe that this software is "almost" ready for primetime.
>
> But the existing documentation online is hard to follow, and the default
> settings for practically everything in this software are out of date:  mostly
> based on hardware that might have been current when the overall distro was
> newer, but not on anything you can buy today from Newegg/Best Buy/Microcenter.
>
> I can't say I've solved *all* the problems but I believe that what I've put
> together along with whatever other contributions we as BLU members can pull
> together could deliver a vastly superior "out of the box" experience for users
> new *or* experienced.
>
> Although I manage a site with 600 megabits of traffic for work and know how to
> deliver the bits, what I don't know is how to get together a small group of
> volunteers to launch and support a whole new distro.  The goal of this would
> be to drive MythTV into the future of media, and to keep "fair use" of
> purchased and OTA recordings the law of the land by keeping these tools in the
> hands of the users rather than the media moguls.  The site itself would
> deliver one-button installs onto a limited, preselected set of off-the-shelf
> hardware (nothing less than 1080p high-def).  It would be most adamantly
> not-for-profit.
>
> Any thoughts?  What I'm talking about could become a quite busy site and I
> don't quite know where to begin.

Well, for one, you're proposing to reinvent the wheel. There are already multiple MythTV-specific distros out there. Why not pick one of those to help out? Or help the official MythTV docs? Going off and doing your own brand new thing seems like Doing It Wrong(tm) to me. At least consider joining the efforts of an existing MythTV distro before creating yet another one.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org