Subject: MPAA wants to control your TV: Take action
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:08:26 -0500
From: Defective by Design <info-5/I1Hs30TiVVmv6ocLLGH4SLwOllVvif at public.gmane.org>

The MPAA is pressuring the FCC for the authority to cripple recording
devices using so-called "Selectable Output Control" (SOC).

Basically, SOC would enable Hollywood to actually *shut off the video
outputs* on your cable box, DVR, or other recording device when
particular movies or shows come on. When the movie's over, the outputs
*might* turn back on. Your devices would dance to Hollywood's tune.

Most cable boxes and DVRs already include Digital Restrictions
Management (DRM) and operate using proprietary software -- both of
which we need to work to eliminate. But just because many of these
devices already use DRM, that doesn't mean we should let Hollywood and
the FCC keep adding more. This new form of control would take even
more freedom away from people using those devices, would restrict
people using free software like MythTV to watch broadcasts and record
them, and would set a dangerous precedent elevating Hollywood's
desires over the public's freedom.

We're not talking about an imaginary threat here. Hollywood has
already tried this sort of nonsense with the Broadcast Flag --
which the FCC rejected.

Who gets to decide which outputs you can use on your home
entertainment gear -- the movie studios or you? File a comment with
the FCC and tell them to keep Hollywood?s restrictions out of your
living room.

FCC:

* <http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs2/upload/begin?procName=08-82&filedFrom=X>

Digg:

* <http://digg.com/television/MPAA_wants_to_control_your_TV_take_action_2>

Reddit:

*
<http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/a515e/mpaa_wants_to_control_your_tv_take_action/>

Before you follow the link, you may want to select and copy this
sample text:

Dear Chairman Genachowski,

I urge you to deny the MPAA's request seeking waiver of Section
76.1903 of the Commission's rules. This waiver would allow studios to
engage in "selectable output control," or "SOC." SOC would let
Hollywood decide remotely which outputs I could use on the cable box
and recording devices in my home. The waiver would take freedom away
from people using these devices, would restrict people using free (as
in freedom) software like MythTV to make and watch recordings, and
would set a dangerous precedent against the public's interest.

People have a basic right to not be controlled by the technology they
use. Hollywood and set-top box manufacturers already violate this
right by imposing Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) and
proprietary software on the public. If you granted the waiver, you
would be giving them even more power to trample on our rights.

Now that audio and video are a natural part of how people communicate,
the ability to record, archive, share, and remix audio and video is
essential to free speech, political debate and cultural participation.
Hollywood and the MPAA are pushing these restrictions because they
want a world where they are free to communicate with us, but where we
cannot freely communicate with each other. The FCC represents the
public, not Hollywood. Don't give them more power to restrict our
freedom to use media or to participate in politics and culture.

As I understand it, the FCC also considers things like convenience,
affordability, and economic impact in making its decisions. Other
people have presented you with persuasive evidence that SOC will
needlessly inconvenience viewers, will unfairly require the purchase
of new equipment in order to watch certain movies, and will raise the
price of basic equipment. But these questions should not even be
considered when the cost is the public's freedom. Even if Hollywood
does find a cost-effective and convenient way to enforce these
restrictions, they should still be rejected.

I urge you to deny Hollywood's waiver request.

Sincerely,

(your name)

---

Updates on the campaign:

* <http://www.defectivebydesign.org/mpaa-tv-drm>

Thanks for taking part!

Holmes Wilson
DRM Elimination Team
DefectiveByDesign.org is a project of the Free Software Foundation
Fifty One Franklin Street, Fifth Floor
Boston, 02110