Trouble at the 9th layer.

On Nov 29, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Matt Shields wrote:

> did.  Being the 3rd Ops manager to take over, I'm not happy to just stand by
> and watch our dev's cause more problems than help.  First step is to
> implement sudo and let them do their job while not giving them root access.
> But as I mentioned, we have one guy who seems to think that he can go around
> sudo by dropping to shell.

One thing I've learned over the years is that senior management needs concrete examples of how a policy change improves productivity and/or saves money (time).  You need to make it clear to them that One Guy's actions are causing problems that take your time away from projects that help the rest of the developers, and you need to document exactly how much time that is.

--Rich P.