Trouble at the 9th layer.

I to started back in the 'priesthood of computers' was prevalent.
That is thankfully long gone.

You are right about the 'internal hierarchy'.  I moved out of development
several years ago, and into system administration.  Interestingly more
folks go the other way... I've always done things differently it seems.

Some things seem to have changed a little since computers are now
considered a utility (no one thinks about it until it isn't there).
As a sysadmin you tend to be 'invisible or in trouble' these days.

In some companies the 'production' sysadmins hold the 'test/development'
folks in distain because they view life is 'they push it on me, and we
have to put wings on the pig to make it fly', typically because they have
been given incomplete development that was not regression tested with
data that is near enough to production like data.  And they feel they
are blamed for poor application performance even if it is inappropriate
application design and performance for whatever reason.  Most production
admins have been hit with it several times, if they have been in the
business for any time.

Developers and their support admins, sometimes don't understand
what it takes to do day to day administration.  But they also have a
disadvantage of not necessarily having proper production style data.
But as a developer, I found generating proper test data took almost
more effort than developing the application. (IMO and experience, it
is the boundary conditions that took much more effort to process
correctly than 99% of data that was well conforming to expectations.)

Enough of memory lane,