power efficiency

That's a good question.  My Macbook gets SUPER hot, so hot it's almost
unbelievable.  That being said, the battery life is really good.  I think
Apples in general have really good batteries.  The newer generations
especially.  Some of the newest Macbook Pros can last 7-8 hours due to the
new super high capacity battery.  The new batteries have a 1000 charge cycle
compared to the 300 charge cycle of the older machines.

I don't think there is anything inherent in the OS X operating system that
contributes greatly to the battery life being extended.  The power
management options are similar to that of Windows or Linux.  Perhaps there
is something going on behind the scenes to in the OS to extend the battery
life.

Chris