disk usage

Matthew Gillen wrote:
> The mythtv backend process had rotated that log file out and deleted
> it, but since the commercial-flagging process still had a handle it
> kept it around (and presumably it was filling it with nonsense).

You might want to adjust the log rotation settings, if you can get at
them. Generally the preferred approach is to move the file, but defer
compressing (or otherwise deleting) it until the next rotation. That way
if any unexpected stragglers keep logging to it, you still have a link
to it.

On my MythTV system it is using logrotate for rotation of backend logs,
and I see they have the copytruncate option specified, which implies
that they expect there will be stragglers. That should keep them logging
to the original file location. If your original file got deleted, then
you must be using different rotation rules.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA