Go (language)

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kramer" <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org>
To: discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 7:47:00 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: Go (language)

>Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> On 11/22/2009 09:27 PM, David Kramer wrote:
>> I like C++, but cross-platform is very important to me, and the C++
>>> standard doesn't cover enough of what's needed for a real app, which is
>>> why I spend most of my time in Java or Perl or PHP. Most of what's
>>> missing is platform/OS independent IO.
>>>
>> Please elaborate on this. I have done much cross platform work on C and
>> C++. Most of the platform dependencies are not so much language, but in
>> functions and procedures that are not part of the C or C++ standards.
>
>Uhm, that's what I said. You can't write a portable C or C++ program
>with a GUI, or a database, or a web service, etc without involving
>(usually that means buying) third-party libraries. Java offers other
>things, like a way of determining the running environment's text file
>line endings systematically, locale information like time zone and DST
>rules, etc.
>
>That doesn't mean C and C++ aren't important or useful for a lot of
>things, but (for me) not as full applications.

Have you looked at Qt in the last 5 years - its pretty good and adds no cost these days? I don't think it really makes sense to include that kind of functionality in a language spec - it would be clutter. I think of it like the UNIX experience just in code; lots of little things, in this case libraries, working well together.