esata

If your just looking to add 4 consumer sata drives, especially the high capacity "green" drives, a single esata will be plenty.  How they will show up will depend on the controller as has been stated. Usually you'll have the option of JBOD or RAID, but check the manual to see what options are available.

You could go higher preformance and capacity with an external sas or fiberchanel box.  But obviously this will push the cost up a lot.

------Original Message------
From: Dan Ritter
Sender: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
To: Stephen Adler
Cc: BLU
Subject: Re: esata
Sent: Nov 19, 2009 3:06 PM

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 02:57:48PM -0500, Stephen Adler wrote:
> Does one need a special port multiplex aware set of disk drives? and a
> port multiplex controller? Or does standard sata controllers support
> port multiplexing?

The drives don't have to be special; you need a multiplexer
which works with the sata controller you have, and some sata
controllers don't work with any multiplexer.

Silicon Image (SIL) chipsets are quite popular for both
controller and multiplexer chips.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.