the distro kunundrum...

I feel the need to chime in, especially since I started this thread.

I think Red Hat has done a superb job of keeping to the mission of
providing a stable linux distribution for so many years. I've had more
trouble going from one version of fedora to another because things
change so much between releases. VMWare is a case in point. I could
never keep VMWare working from one release to another without having to
dig through the internet looking for that patch out of the .cz domain.
For mission critical system, one you have rhel installed and working,
you can pretty much forget about the system and move on to other projects.

That being said.... I did have my first big letdown with this last
server from Dell I got. And I blame it on the hardware out pacing RHEL.
The was just something basically wrong in the way RHEL 5.4 was running
on the Dell. The dell is based on the 5520 chipset from intel. when I
turned on hyperthreading, the raid rebuilding was running at about
4megs/sec. When I turned off hyperthreading, the raid rebuild went up to
about 30megs/sec. When I installed fedora 11, the raid rebuilding popped
up to about 70megs/sec with hyperthreading enabled. I also had the
problem with the network bandwidth running way too slow. There may have
been some kernel flag I needed to put in the boot command line, but
there was nothing which I could find. So in my haste to get this dell up
and running, I put fedora 11 on it (the equivalent to openSUSE) and it's
running great. Since this system is a backup machine for studies being
done under the preview of the FDA, I would prefer RHEL.

Redhat 5 has now been out for several years. I'm not sure when rhel 6 is
due, but I'm going to wait until it comes out and the replace fedora 11
with the newer rhel 6.