Kernel Recompile Mint Linux

I'm running Mint Linux on a netbook (an MSI Wind U100).  The speed is OK,
but the battery life is not super great.  The battery life is much extended
running Windows XP.  I figure if I can limit the CPU usage by
eliminating unnecessary items from loading I can increase the battery life
and speed at the same time.

Further, I'm a bit of a tinkerer and am looking for the experience of
successfully saying that I've fine tuned my system as much as humanly
possible.

Thanks for the advice regarding the initrd.

Chris