xdmcp

Guys,

In the old days... circa 1990, I was really big on X-terminals and
xdmcp. Basically we ran these large unix systems, (SGI was big then)
which didn't have any display devices and we would buy a bunch of
XTerminals which we installed on peoples desks. We all shared the same
system.

But the model has changed with everyone having their own PC. But I was
wondering, is ther anyway of using xdmcp or somehow take advantage of it
to startup a session so that I can do some kind of remote desktop'ing?
Currently I use vnc and have to log into the system I want to vnc to,
startup the vncserver (Xvnc) and then run my vnc client on my desktop.
It would be nice if somehow I could run a vncviewer and somehow attach
to it as if I had a virtual xterminal. Does that kind of interface exist
these days?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Cheers. Steve.