forcing a raid recovery

I have done this too.  Even with a good disk backup, a tape copy is
not a bad idea,
and it could be your 'once a week to validate reads' too.

In one mainframe shop I had 3x the maximum disk needed, and did a round robin
copy into what were effectively 3 partitions on different drives.  It
re-organized the
database and gave me other maintenance space too.  copy c was erased,
giving work room,
copy A (this week) was copied into copy B, copy B was reorganized in place.
Copy B becomes 'live', copy 'A' becomes a static backup, copy 'C' is
the prior week
backup that will be erased before next weeks 'roll and update' procedure.

Just some thoughts from what has worked.