Partitioning "Lamp" server

I cannot be definitive, but most Linux applications can reside nearly
anywhere. When you talk about Apache and MySQL, there are components,
the config files are normally in /etc, the binaries are usually either
in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin. The data components can be just about anywhere
based on how you set up the config files:
For example in an older Apache config:
ServerRoot "/etc/httpd"
PidFile "/var/run/httpd.pid"
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

Essenttially, you can put most things where you want. However,
configuration files are generally under /etc on most Unix and Linux
systems (except possibly on optware systems). Pids are generally stored
under /var/run.

You can place your document root on /Data/foo/bar and your scripts in
/home/steve/scripts. But, I would otherwise respect standard
conventions. For instance, you might want to preserve the /var/www
convention, but set up www as a symlink to Data/foo/bar, or better
/Data/foo/www. Or, you can mount /Data/foo/bar under /var/www.

Following conventions is usually a good thing in a non-home environment
since there may be others who are working with you or may follow you and
expect things in certain places. I don't know the setup for mysql, but
I'm sure you can place the various databases anywhere you want to.
Again, keeping conventions in mind.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846