[somewhat off-topic] Comcast and Verizon

On 10/31/2009 12:05 AM, David Kramer wrote:
> Matthew Gillen wrote:
>> On 10/26/2009 11:56 AM, R. Luoma wrote:
>> My opinion, stay away from Comcast when it comes to internet service.  They
>> specialize in abusing customers, "shaping" bandwidth in ways that 'discourage'
>> certain uses (Vonage, bittorrent), and various other "the customer is our
>> bitch" policies.
>
> I got Comcast Business class, and have no issues.  I can (and do)
> contractually run whatever the hell I want, as much as I want.  Static
> IP address, too.  The only way to make sure you're not blocked is to be
> contractually allowed to.  You can't complain about blocked ports when
> your contract says you're not allowed to run servers.

I wasn't actually complaining about the no-server-rule (this time, though
that certainly is a pet peeve of mine ;-) ), I was coming at it more from
the point of view of Comshaft being a leader (THE leader?) in demonstrating
why the net-neutrality / ISPs-classified-as-common-carrier laws are needed.

And why subject yourself to that?  Maybe they don't do bandwidth shaping on
the business class.  But it costs twice as much for the same 'bandwidth'.

Are you saying I should buy business class if I want to use bittorrent?
Comcast has a bit of history there...

Matt