[somewhat off-topic] Comcast and Verizon

... snip ...
>> I gather Verizon FIOS will involve a loss of the copper wire to the
>> house.  How serious a problem do people think this will be?
>>
> You can tell the install guy to leave the copper alone. If you don't,
> they'll cut it, but there's really no reason for them to do so, other
> than it lets them lock you into fiber-only service...
You cannot order DSL over the internet in areas where they offer FIOS. I
believe they will withdraw DSL service in fiber areas - according to
their website for businesses they can already do that. If they aren't
required to open their fiber plant, they will have reestablished a
partial monopoly.

Also, although a copper wire will last 50-100 years, I have been told
that the fiber plant is only designed for 20 years. Can anyone confirm
or disprove?

Everyone says to refuse to allow them to remove the copper wire drop. I
am guessing, but if the copper is in place & you order DSL from a
competitive provider (if any exist), Verizon would have to repair the
wire on their own dime. If the drop has been removed, the competitive
provider or end-user would have to pay for a new wire, and they will
Just Say No.

Randy Cole