x11VNC server on Ubuntu

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to connect to a computer running X11VNC server using
TightVNC for the last few weeks.  I've tried a variety of methods including
using an SSH tunnel and connecting directly to the machine through
TightVNC.

I can connect without a problem UNLESS the GDM is at a state prompting for
the user name and password.

Has anyone had any experience with this?  The documentation I've been able
to find does not seem to work unless someone has logged into the GUI first.

Thanks in advance!

Chris