[somewhat off-topic] Comcast and Verizon

R. Luoma wrote:
> After all this time, I am finally moving.  At present, I do not have "high-speed" internet, but I will now have the choice of Verizon (fios - what is that?) and Comcast... or I could stick with the POTS dialup (as I do now).
>
> First the linux-y questions:
>
> I do not have any MS-Windows desktops (only linux ones).  If I choose to get "high-speed" internet from Verizon-fios or Comcast cable, will this lack be a problem?  If it is, how have people dealt with it?

With either company, it's likely that you'll have to borrow a Windows
computer long enough to get the connection working. Once you have your
connection validated and your broadband router working, you will have no
further need for Windows. You MIGHT not need a Windows computer if they
have to send an installer; for FIOS that means just about always, for
Comcast it's only true if you're moving into a house that did not
previously have cable service.

I do know that Comcast has a connection validation step that requires
you to download a validation app (Windows and Mac only) and run it;
until you do that you can only connect to Comcast's servers. I haven't
yet had any personal experience with FIOS.

> next the Vidiot questions:
>
> Both Verizon and Comcast offer various flavors of TV.  I only have the old television sets (and no converter -- I watch DVDs and such).  Can the old sets be used with these piped-in TV services?  If so, how do I verify this before signing up for the service?  How does MythTV come into the mix?

Both services will give you set-top boxes with outputs for analog
television, so your existing sets will work if you decide to sign up for
TV. FIOS never had direct analog signals (without a box, for direct
connection to a "cable-ready" television) and Comcast is phasing them
out (they're already gone in some towns), so you can count on needing a
set-top box with either.

> finally, the phone-y questions:
> I would like to get a land-line telephone (I realize that some of you gentle readers use wireless phones).  Again, both V and C offer these options.  Do people have experience with these land-line phones?  What about long-distance calls?
>
> I gather Verizon FIOS will involve a loss of the copper wire to the house.  How serious a problem do people think this will be?

Not having a copper line has two potential problems: first, there is no
way to ever get DSL (should you ever want to) if they take all the
copper out, and a landline connected to FIOS won't work during an
extended power outage. Traditional POTS service is powered off the phone
line, and the telco central offices have big banks of batteries and
emergency generators to keep things going. With FIOS you're dependent on
the backup battery in the FIOS interface box, which I understand is good
for about 12 hours.

I've heard mixed reviews of Comcast's voice services. As you would
expect from The Phone Company, voice over FIOS works well. Both
companies push service packages with unlimited calling, including long
distance.