Asus WL500G Deluxe Router

On Oct 25, 2009, at 3:42 PM, James Kramer wrote:

> So, I gather that the OpenWrt in client mode does not act like the
> wireless setup on my note book where I just scan for local networks
> and hit the connect button and then add the user id and password?

Bridge = client.

As a bridge device the access point functions exactly like any other
wireless node on the network.  You connect the bridge device to the
primary access point and then connect wired Ethernet devices to the
bridge.

You lose your local wireless network in the process.  A WiFi
transceiver can function as an access point (hub) or a client (node),
but it can't do both at the same time.  If you want to have both at
the remote site then you need two transceivers at the remote site, one
to bridge and one to be the access point.

Or set up WDS, which requires specific configurations on compatible
hardware on both sides of the link, and as I noted previously you lose
security.  You also lose performance: each WDS hop cuts throughput by
50%.

--Rich P.