[somewhat off-topic] Comcast and Verizon

After all this time, I am finally moving.  At present, I do not have "high-speed" internet, but I will now have the choice of Verizon (fios - what is that?) and Comcast... or I could stick with the POTS dialup (as I do now).

First the linux-y questions:

I do not have any MS-Windows desktops (only linux ones).  If I choose to get "high-speed" internet from Verizon-fios or Comcast cable, will this lack be a problem?  If it is, how have people dealt with it?

next the Vidiot questions:

Both Verizon and Comcast offer various flavors of TV.  I only have the old television sets (and no converter -- I watch DVDs and such).  Can the old sets be used with these piped-in TV services?  If so, how do I verify this before signing up for the service?  How does MythTV come into the mix?

finally, the phone-y questions:
I would like to get a land-line telephone (I realize that some of you gentle readers use wireless phones).  Again, both V and C offer these options.  Do people have experience with these land-line phones?  What about long-distance calls?

I gather Verizon FIOS will involve a loss of the copper wire to the house.  How serious a problem do people think this will be?

I realize that this topic have been done many times,
but thanks to those who elect to refresh my memory,
--
R. Luoma