Software as a profession sucks, a rant.

we can all talk in generalities.  In general what BlueSage says is true.
But some of the best work and most interesting I have done was for a
very large international oil company (building and moving mainframes
and users around - software and data wise - with a very small team),
a large natural gas producer (another NYSE company) doing simulations
of tankers and another project doing one of the first major company
e-filings - back in the 1970's (prior to that it was submittin 10 copies of
20 volume sets of 3" 3 ring binders for one return).

Small comanies and consulting have also had their great projects.

At every company there is 'bad work'.  Boreing, un-interesting,
repedative, but I have also run into people that just LOVE that
kind of work. ... Different needs and wants for everyone.  The best
most of us can hope for is to find a spot where we feel needed,
wanted, and productive, all with enough challenge and variety to
keep us from getting bored to often.

IMHO, trying to please someone else is a loosing struggle.
Do good work, you are proud of, serve your customers, and hopefully
see some of the fruits of your labor ocassionally.  If you depend on
other to say 'good job' all the time, you can grow bitter and
resentful, at least I did.