Software as a profession sucks, a rant.

On Oct 22, 2009, at 1:28 PM, theBlueSage wrote:
> Big Company == Higher Wages == Boring work/slave mentality.
>
> Small company == Smaller wages == Interesting innovative work

I disagree.  I've worked as a sysadmin for small, medium and large
companies and I have to say that the size of the company has little
bearing on pay and type of work.  What matters is senior management
and what it collectively wants out of the company.  A smaller company
with a cash cow that management simply wants to milk to death is going
to have a boring work/slave mentality and below average salaries.  A
larger company with management that wants to build on success and
branch out in new directions and crush the competition can have above
average salaries and interesting work.  What really sucks is when
there is a significant management change like happened at my last job,
when a dynamic management team is replaced (or encouraged to leave --
same thing) by a stagnant, brown-nosing collective.

--Rich P.