Software as a profession sucks, a rant.

No issue with your arguments.
The difference in the two is, IMHO, the difference in a knowledge worker
and a 'mechanical' worker.  Yes, there does seem to be some social
status that comes with white collar over blue collar work, but from what
I have seen, they are both wage slaves.

Even 'independant business persons' are wage
slaves to their customers.  Anytime someone has
power over you in any manner, makes one of them
subservient.

There is a reason why the only 'sovern' is a government.
They have the power to tax and control those under them.
Even the 'companies'/businesses are all under someone
elses domination/control as much as individuals that
work for them are in their control.

I found an unbelievable amount of feeling of being free
just by paying off my mortgage.  A little piece of freedom
from having to pay someone else for the right to live
in 'my house'.  Then the tax bill comes, and I still have
to pay someone else to use what I 'own'.

I need to switch to another topic, my blood pressure is going up again.