New Internationalized domain names are coming

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has
announced more progress toward the issuance of Internationalized
country-code Top Level Domain names (IDN ccTLDs).

The new internationalized domain names will allow domain names to be
written and displayed with something _other_ than the Latin alphabet
that has been required up until now. In other words, Russians will get
domain names written with Cyrillic characters, Saudis with Arabic, etc.

Details are at
http://www.icann.com/en/announcements/announcement-04oct09-en.htm .

My questions:

1. Has this change been implemented so that it doesn't break what's out
   there now?

2. What software will I have to change, if any?

Sorry to be Chicken Little, but not having the Latin alphabet in
domain names is like doing away with at-signs in email addresses. I
know it's possible, but it's a tektonic shift in the electronic
firmament, and I'm feeling dizzy all of a sudden.

Bill

--
E. William Horne
William Warren Consulting