No Sound on Fedora 11 2.6.30 kernel (2.6.29 works fine)

On 10/12/2009 11:53 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> On 10/11/2009 07:53 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>  =20
>> Sound works fine on my system with the 2.6.29 (specifically
>> 2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.x86_64) kernel, but when they updated to 2.6.30=

>> the sound stopped working. If I reboot back to the 2.6.29 kernel thing=
>> work fine. I've googled a number of different places (including Fedora=

>> Forum http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=3D225660), but no=

>> luck. Looking at some of the issues it appears to be something between=

>> front and back speakers. My system only has 1 audio array . My sound
>> card is nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2). I've
>> looked through all the different settings and run various Pulse Audio =
as
>> well as ALSA mixers. When I look at the Pulse Audio volume meter, in
>> both 2.6.29 and 2.6.30 kernels, it does show the volume levels. So far=
,
>> I don't see any clues at either boot time or in dmesg.
>>    =20
> Some common sound issues I've run into with recent kernels:
>
> * has one of the channels (e.g., master, PCM, front) been muted?
> * has one of the channels (e.g., PCM, front) been set to volume 0?
> * is the snd_pcsp module loaded?  (lsmod | grep snd_pcsp)  If so, unloa=
d=20
> it, and set it to not load.  (That's been known to interfere with other=
=20
> sound modules.)
> * are any of the "Analog Loopback" switches turned on?  If so, turn the=
m=20
> off, as they can disable sound.  (I tore my hair out over that one for =

> quite a while.)
>
>  =20
No to all. The two things I have not done are 1) Compared the alsa-info
output between 2.6.29 and 2.6.30, and rebuilt the alsa drivers. All
switch settings are the same between .29 and .30, but bootong into .29
sound works fine, bootong into .30 sound does not work. Once I compare
the alsa-info data, I might remove everything sound related and install
only the core systems. I had install a lot of the OSS compatibility
stuff for Skype 32-bit, so it might be that there is a module that
somehow is disabling the output on the .30 kernel, but not on the .29
kernel that I might discover by doing the tedious thing. Another
possibility is to try out the .31 kernel (or possibly install Fedora 12.
Beta release is scheduled for next week.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846