No Sound on Fedora 11 2.6.30 kernel (2.6.29 works fine)

When 2.6.30 first hit my system, I got a bit of static, but not the pops
others reported, but it is now quiet. Rebooting to 2.6.29, sound works
fine. lsmod shows the same modules were loaded in .30 and .29. I might
try to recompile the Alsa driver.=20

alsa-info.sh information looks ok.

On 10/11/2009 04:49 PM, Randy Cole wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> I've experienced the opposite after the last couple of updates - sound
> is now working on Fedora (2.6.30.8-64.fc11.x86_64) without having to
> custom compile alsa-driver.
>
> You can try what I've had to do for nine months, every time the kernel
> updates:
>
> First, run alsa-info.sh which will concisely display what alsa *thinks*=

> you are running. Just for yucks, see if it is different between 2.6.29
> and 2.6.30. If alsa-info.sh isn't on your system, you can find it in th=
> alsa-driver/tools after you download the source.
>
> Then download alsa-driver & the usual configure/make/make install.
>
> Here is what alsa-driver-1.0.21/SUPPORTED_KERNELS says:
>
> " The alsa-drivers in this package are designed for the following kerne=
ls:

> - Vanilla 2.6.29 or earlier
> - Vanilla 2.4.31 or earlier
> - Vanilla 2.2.26 or earlier
>
> It's not guaranteed that they work with any newer version than above
> or modified kernels by distributors.
> "
> Good luck,
> Randy
>
> You could try downloading alsa-driver &
> Tom McLaughlin wrote:
>  =20
>> Jerry Feldman wrote, On 10/11/2009 07:53 AM:
>>  =20
>>    =20
>>> Sound works fine on my system with the 2.6.29 (specifically
>>> 2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.x86_64) kernel, but when they updated to 2.6.3=
0
>>> the sound stopped working. If I reboot back to the 2.6.29 kernel thin=
gs
>>> work fine. I've googled a number of different places (including Fedor=
>>> Forum http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=3D225660), but n=
>>> luck. Looking at some of the issues it appears to be something betwee=
>>> front and back speakers. My system only has 1 audio array . My sound
>>> card is nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2). I've=

>>> looked through all the different settings and run various Pulse Audio=
 as
>>> well as ALSA mixers. When I look at the Pulse Audio volume meter, in
>>> both 2.6.29 and 2.6.30 kernels, it does show the volume levels. So fa=
r,
>>> I don't see any clues at either boot time or in dmesg.
>>>
>>>    =20
>>>      =20
>> Are you getting no sound at all or periodic sound and lots of pops?
>> With some update I went from sound perfectly fine to only periodic sou=
nd
>> and lots of popping noises.  This is what I ended up doing to fix thin=
gs.

>> [tom at tomcat tom]$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf
>> options snd_hda_intel power_save_controller=3D0
>>
>> Even if this isn't your problem I think this bit might help a few Fedo=
ra
>> users on the list. :)
>>
>> tom
>>
>>  =20