apache/tomcat

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:46:44AM -0400, John Boland wrote:
> i've been tasked with assisting an install and ongoing support of several
> apache/tomcat servers.
> what are some good online sources for a unix admin to start with?
> any recommendations for a dead-tree info source?

What OS/distro are you using?

Use their version. Keep a local mirror of their package
repositor(y/ies) and sync that with them daily.

Subscribe to their security announcement mailing list. Read it
daily.

Keep a test system around configured identically to your
production systems. Always test before deploying to production.

Use the apache virtual host system, even if you only have one to
deploy. Keep per-host configuration in its own file.

If you can generate configuration data rather than hand-hacking
it, do so.

Use a revision control system. Automate distribution of
configuration changes, software packages, and basically
everything.

If you haven't looked it over, http://www.infrastructures.org is
an excellent theory site.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.