I enjoyed writing this ALOT!

I like Unix, emacs and vi, so don't get me wrong. But I also don't believe in a 1-D, monochromatic world. Specifically, the human senses & particularly the eyes, can take in information simultaneously across multiple wavelengths, both literally and figuratively. So why restrict it to a b&w text only? Granted it can & does get abused (frequently :-( ), but a well placed bold/italic or a <code> font, especially when you are talking about technical stuff, can help the eye pick things up a lot quicker. Abuse of technology is rampant across the spectrum -- but that does not mean we should stop using it.

You make a good point about using proprietary software. I agree, but there's a lot of F/OSS software that can let you think more "colorfully" in the *NIX universe. Use it and enjoy it!

Before you respond, just think: even though you might be using text (vi/emacs), would you revert to monochromatic monitors and have all your xterms/consoles the same color? Right.

-Nilanjan