Open Source Project, anyone interested?

Mark Woodward wrote:
> At my day job, I had to find an embedded web server.  Maybe I didn't
> look all that hard, but I couldn't find any that I thought were really
> good.
>
> It should be small! very small! Not another apache sort of thing.

There must be a dozen Apache alternatives, many focused on resource
constrained environments. And just about every Linux-based gizmo has an
embedded web server, so there must be at least a few options suitable
for embedded use.

You may be right that the existing choices have deficiencies, but if you
want to recruit other participants to the project you might want to
start out by listing those alternatives and saying how they fall short
of your criteria.

> ...we could use C, but it should use some object based system.

With the increasing CPU power of embedded systems, it is becoming more
common to use higher level languages for stuff like this, such as Perl,
Python, and Ruby. For example, the Western Digital NAS discussed at a
BLU talk and on the list recently uses Perl, and has a hardware JVM.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA