Any trick to waking up FireFox?

   Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:05:17 -0400
   From: David Kramer <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org>

   What Firefox needs is it's own "top" interface to its threads so you can
   see what the hell it's doing and kill threads that are running out of
   control.  OTOH, Firefox doesn't use separate threads to the extent it
   should, which is part of the problem.  If only one could meld the
   infrastructure of Chrome with the capabilities of Firefox....

You might try the XUL Profiler extension.  It's a fairly
coarse-grained profiler, but it may help you find some JavaScript
somewhere that's consuming a lot of time.

I've found that certain sites that I wouldn't otherwise expect wind up
being real pigs -- even though I like the sites, I disable JavaScript
except when I actually need it.  It also helps pinpoint add-ons that
are doing too much.