Any suggestion for mailing list mail server

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 01:47:29PM -0400, Kent Borg wrote:
> Dave Peters a wrote:
> > Any suggestion for mailing list Mail Server? Sendmail, Postfix or Qmail?
> >

> I used to use qmail but gave up because it wasn't really maintained. The
> author is at odds with the world, he wants our whole e-mail system
> redesigned from scratch (he has a point) and in the meantime he will fix
> any security bug but otherwise isn't so interested in evolving qmail to
> match reality. It he will not allow anyone to release any version but
> his exact sources--which means anyone else's code changes have to be
> applied as a source patch and you recompile; your distribution can't do
> a nice value-add.

Well, no.

All the code for qmail is in the public domain; DJB says so. You
can branch it and re-release it any way you want. And, in fact,
the version that you should use is called netqmail. netqmail is
distributed as you say, but there's no reason you can't
distribute it as you please.

In the meantime, qmail isn't "maintained" because it is as near
to being bug-free as any non-trivial program can be.

The OP might be interested in http://thedjbway.org/

> Oh, and the qmail mailing list is grumpy with lots of
> RTFM responses to questions.

This is true. If you ask a FAQ, you will be pointed to the FAQ.
At this point, most questions asked on the list are either FAQs
or pony-requests -- bug reports that say "qmail doesn't come with a pony".

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.