Additional WD MyBook II Questions

Our replacement MyBook II is scheduled to arrive today, and I've done my
homework, so I won't brick the device again.

The intent is to use the MyBook II (4TB physical - TB Raid1)  strictly
as a backup device. We currently run a nightly backup of our NFS server
to another system. The way I would envision us to use the MyBook II is
to (1) disable MioNet (which I have read is a hog). Setting up SSH is
well documented. I would then import rsync Version 3 or better both on
the MyBook II and on the NFS server. Then install rsnapshot, and take
several snapshots during the day, and have our NY server grab the
rsnapshot daily late after my workaholic coworker leaves.

An alternative might be to NFS export MyBook to the NFS server, and run
rsnapshot locally on the NFS server. I don't particularly like doing it
this way, but it is workable.

Another is simply move my current backup scripts to the MyBook.

The reason for upgrading to rsync v3 is that apparently v2 uses too much
swap.

Certainly everyone has their own backup strategies, but I would like to
hear some opinions. I don't care too much about the MyBook II
performance. If I were to get a dedicated NAS as an NFS server, I would
probably chose a different device, but in this context, my boss does not
want to raise too many IT eyebrows.

Also note that the current MyBook II WE (white light) no longer has
Morse Code on the end :-)

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846