BLU Meeting Reminder, tomorrow, August 19, 2009 Dbl Hdr: Branding the Bazaar, and Drupal Content Mgmt System

When:      August 19, 2009 7PM (6:30PM for Q&A)
Topic:     Double Header: Branding the Bazaar, and
                   Drupal Content Management System
Moderators: Patrick Keating; Douglas Sweetser
Location:  MIT Building E51, Room 315 2 Amherst St, Cambridge
Please note that Amherst St is now one way heading Westbound from
Wadsworth St. to Ames St. as a result of construction.

Patrick Keating:
How can a brand add equity to and be controlled by the organization when
its product(s) and brand heritage are, at least in part, developed by
volunteers outside of the company's control? If recent acquisitions by
Yahoo and Oracle are any indication, this seemingly unusual question is
one faced and increasingly answered by today's leading Commercial Open
Source organizations.

Doug Sweetser:
HTML was designed so the physicists at CERN could present a paper with a
few figures and data by adding a tags that could be remembered and typed
in vi or emacs. The format was meant to tolerate the kinds of errors
individuals make.

    For a web site with where many people can contribute content, site
management goes beyond what HTML alone can do. Yet there are so many
technologies which quickly change. Who has the time to keep track of how
these technologies work with the diverse collections of available
browsers? Rely on another community to update and evolve the software in
the open.

For further information and directions please consult the BLU Web site
http://www.blu.org
Please note that there is usually plenty of free parking in the E-51
parking lot at 2 Amherst St, or on Amherst St.

We will adjourn to the Cambridge Brewery for our after meeting meeting.

Also please don't forget our next Installfest on Saturday, August 22nd.
I'll make a separate announcement.
--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846