another hard drive failure story

Could be, but the Dell Inspiron is a laptop ans he did change drives and
cables.
One test I would have done would have been to plug the drive into a USB
adapter (I bought one at Micro Center for about $7.00).
One question for Seth, are both your new and old drives SATA, or
possibly one might be eSATA?

On 08/16/2009 02:03 PM, edwardp-KK0ffGbhmjU at public.gmane.org wrote:
> While attempting to install Linux on a Compaq Presario that is now 10=20
> years old, the installation CD for the current and prior releases,=20
> displayed various I/O errors during the install process and resulted in=
=20
> some packages being installed, but no bootloader.=20
>
> Strangely enough, if I used the installation CD for the same Linux=20
> release going back three versions, that particular release installed=20
> fine and was then able to do an online upgrade to the "prior" version=20
> mentioned above, as the "current" version did not run as expected, the =

> login was set to auto-login, yet it began to prompt for a password afte=
r=20
> so many reboots, despite the settings to the contrary.
>
> Reading the issue that Seth had, this made me wonder if perhaps the=20
> ribbon cables running between the motherboard and CD/DVD drives might b=
e=20
> bad.  But then, why would the current and prior releases display I/O=20
> errors on those installs, but the third release back installed fine...
>

>  =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846