another hard drive failure story

While attempting to install Linux on a Compaq Presario that is now 10
years old, the installation CD for the current and prior releases,
displayed various I/O errors during the install process and resulted in
some packages being installed, but no bootloader.

Strangely enough, if I used the installation CD for the same Linux
release going back three versions, that particular release installed
fine and was then able to do an online upgrade to the "prior" version
mentioned above, as the "current" version did not run as expected, the
login was set to auto-login, yet it began to prompt for a password after
so many reboots, despite the settings to the contrary.

Reading the issue that Seth had, this made me wonder if perhaps the
ribbon cables running between the motherboard and CD/DVD drives might be
bad.  But then, why would the current and prior releases display I/O
errors on those installs, but the third release back installed fine...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090815-0, 08/15/2009
Tested on: 8/16/2009 2:03:54 PM