open source copyright language

It depends on your goal.  There are lots to choose from.

Samuel Baldwin <recursive.forest-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> suggested the MIT/X
Consortium license, as being pretty close to putting it in the public
domain.  But do you consider public domain to be "open and out there in
true freedom software fashion"?  With such a license, anyone can take
your code, modify it to suit their purposes, and then distribute their
resulting binaries with no requirement that they distribute the source
code.  That happened with parts of the X Window System.  Companies would
modify the X Server to work with their hardware, and for that piece of X
they'd only provide binaries.

If you believe that being "open and out there in true freedom software
fashion" means that those you've released your work to in an open
fashion shouldn't be allowed to benefit by claiming proprietary rights
to the result of them building on your work, public domain is not what
you want.  The GPL is designed to make sure they treat others as
generously as you've treated them.  See
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html.

    Mark Rosenthal