Flash drive recovery software for SD memory card?

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 09:02:03AM -0400, Robert La Ferla wrote:
> I have a SD memory card that I used to take several photos on.  I know
> that the camera stored the photos on the disk because I reviewed
> them.  When I went to transfer the photos to my computer (via a USB
> cable), my Macbook didn't mount my camera.  I unplugged the cable and
> got an unsafe device removal error.  I then tried mounting the device
> on a Windows PC but it can't read the disk.  Is there some free or
> open source utility for any platform that can help me recover my "once
> in a lifetime" photos.

I have some saved posts from Kristian Hermansen about this topic:

"FIRST DUMP THE DISK AND WORK ON THE COPY ONLY!!!  DO NOT TOUCH THE ORIGINAL
DRIVE!!!  YOU CAN DO THIS SIMPLY WITH dd (off to another drive or remote
file system)...

# dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/nfs/hda.dd

gpart: scans the drive for partition signatures and identifiers and can
recover them.

foremost: a military-grade tool for file carving

magicrescue: let's you define custom file formats to carve out

others... google the two above to find more..."

He added testdisk as a recommendation in a later post.

-ben

--
if you can't be just, be arbitrary.             <william s. burroughs>