in search of cheap broadband; phone, TV optional

>On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:08:23AM -0500, Jack wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Seth Gordon <sethg-Dp9fwfP21SfQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > So I called Verizon and said: "Hi, I'd like to cancel local phone
> > service but keep DSL.  Is that possible?"
> >
> > And the CSR said: "Sure!  We call that 'dry loop DSL' and it costs
> > $40/month."
> I think you found the trick to a telco's success.  The never ending charge.
>
> If you have a monitored alarm system in your home, you might talk to the
> provider if they have an 'alarm loop' to your house.  An 'alarm loop' is a
> specially provisioned phone line that does go through the telco.

An 'alarm loop' and 'dry loop' are the same thing.  No dialtone and no
battery on the line:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_loop

It's possible you could get another ISP to offer you dry loop DSL cheaper
than Verizon, but I think it's unlikely.  The Baby Bells have made it very
hard for third party DSL providers to compete with them.

-ben

--
life consists in what a man is thinking of all day.
                              <ralph waldo emerson>