best office/home office setup - the telecommuter

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) <
greg-SfI3QVg0eaJl57MIdRCFDg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Moving to a new employment position, I'm once again faced with
> purchasing some computer equipment.  I'm wondering what hardware,
> software and combination people like the best for working seamlessly
> in the office AND home office environment.  I'm not really a traveller
> - so I don't have to do the 'road warrior' thing.  However, I do want
> to be able to work in multiple locations.

What is allowed by the employer's security rules and what they provide makes
a big difference. I used to be allowed to bring my laptop onto $DayJob net,
since I could be trusted to be cleaner than their systems, but no more
exceptions. Using DropBox would be a firing offence, as is sshfs or any
other connection to personally owned electronics.

If employer's office email has secure webmail access option, on recommended
work at home option is email it to yourself AT WORK ADDRESS, access it from
home, upload back to office web mail when done, and clean-up.

I had the good fortune to be issued the same model laptop at the office as I
was using at home, so office provided dock at office and Google found me the
same part number for half price for home.

I am not sure if the T600 they'll probably upgrade me to will  be dock
compatible with either the T60 or T61 that I picked up at MIT Flea in June
if I want to replicate that happy coincidence.

The powered USB poorman's dock is an option that obsoletes as standards
rachet up, since it has video and ethernet built in, but not useless when
you switch laptop models, and that may be an option with incompatible rigs
as I might be facing.

--
Bill
n1vux-WYrOkVUspZo at public.gmane.org bill.n1vux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org