Western Digital 4TB NAS WDH2NC40000N

After I did more checking, hacking the MyBook II is pretty simple, but
requires one to pop out the drives and stick them into another system,
which I can do at home. The reason for the MyBook II is that SCSI drives
are expensive, and in these days of tight budgets, my boss wants to save
some money. I'll look at the Synology and Thecus systems as well as the
comparison charts. In any case, by moving our nightly backups to a
SATA-based system will free up 1 300GB SCSI I can move into our NFS
server. I'll make my boss aware of the options.
But, the Mybook II simply runs Linux software RAID. Once the box is
opened up by enabling ssh and resetting the root password, it is then
nothing more than a Linux box. I also do a nightly net backup to our New
York office.

A couple of considerations are that we have a full 46 U rack with not
much space, so a small device like the MyBook II (and other desktop
backup devices) should be able to fit on or behind behind the KVM.

On 07/15/2009 02:15 AM, Tom Metro wrote:

> A MyBook II is really at the low-end of the NAS spectrum, so unless
> you really need to optimize for cost and nothing else, you'll find
> products more suited for office use that cost a bit more. Thecus,
> Qnap, Synology, and others make Linux-based NAS appliances with more
> direct support for non-Windows machines, and some even provide ssh
> access (Qnap).
>
> For example, you can get a 2-bay Synology DS209+ for around $300 (no
> drives):
> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30657/75/
>
> A 4-bay Synology DS 409 or a Thecus N4100 Pro will run in the $400s.
>
> Check out the NAS comparison charts for other options:
> http://smallnetbuilder.com/nas-charts/

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846