monitoring NTP

On Jul 2, 2009, at 8:11 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> ntpdate, then restart ntpd. I thought ntpd stepped the time if there
> was
> a large delta. (According to /etc/default/ntp the -g option is being
> specified, which is supposed to permit nptd to make large steps when
> initially started.)

-g is the sanity check.  If the system time is more than -g's value
off (default 1000 seconds) then ntpd says "see ya!" and quits.
Setting it to 0 should prevent ntpd from quitting.  running ntpdate as
you did before restarting ntpd accomplishes the same thing but does it
much faster.  ntpdate sets the time now whereas ntpd with a large
clock skew will take a while to sync up.

--Rich P.