MythTV/Comcast going all digital TV in Cambridge [OT]

On Jun 30, 2009, at 9:47 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Dan Ritter <dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> I'm having immense difficulties getting *two* FW STBs to work,
>> though.
>
> Same here..  It works MOST of the time, but if one show starts while
> another is already recoding I can get dropouts.
>
> Unfortunately none of the myth devs seem to care, probably because
> none of them use it this way so they don't see it themselves.

I'd be willing to take a crack at it, if I actually had multiple
firewire settop boxes and the time to work on it... :(

Sadly, the vast majority of mythtv devs are pretty busy with !mythtv
these days, about the only thing getting a lot of love is vdpau
support. We're going on over a year since the last release, and
looking at 0.22 no sooner than ~3 months out still...

> Also,
> the fact that it only happens periodically doesn't help; I can't give
> a reliable way to reproduce it.

Yeah, that doesn't help either.

> My plan is to just get another box as a frontend/backend for my guest
> room and just move one of my HD boxes from my basement to there, so
> I'll
> only have 1 cable box per machine.

Just had another thought... If its bus resets that cause the hiccups,
putting each cable box on its own FireWire card should also eliminate
the problem, as they'd be on busses isolated from one another.
Assuming of course that you have the ability to put another FireWire
card in the current system... And also assuming the mythtv code is
bright enough to only issue bus resets on the bus a specific box is
hooked to... Man, I really need to spend some more time looking at
that code...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org