MythTV/Comcast going all digital TV in Cambridge [OT]

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Most other cable companies have done the exact same thing. The issue for
> them is that they currently must send analog, digital, and HD signals on
> the same wire. As more channels go HD that may be a technical problem.
> The cost on their side is to provide free settop boxes.

True that the conversion to digital does expand the channel capacity
(especially given the way cable companies apparently over compress the
signal), but that's no argument for using encrypted QAM.

The decision to use head-end encryption with decryption occurring at the
set-top-box is one of choice, and not a technical requirement. Consider,
for example, fiber-based services, like FIOS, which use a device mounted
on the customer premises (an ONT - optical network terminal[1]) to
convert the signals multiplexed on the fiber to traditional electrical
signals over a coax cable. This box could incorporate an addressable
filter that blocks all video, or just extended basic, perhaps leaving
premium channels as the only ones requiring decryption at the end-point.
(Years ago some cable systems used a similar analog system integrated
into the splitters out on the poles - addressable taps.)

Requiring a set-top-box is advantageous to the cable companies, as it
gives them a computer that they can control to provide add-on premium
services, like shopping, on-demand, DVR, and pay-per-view.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Network_Terminal#ONT

Shankar Viswanathan wrote:
> RCN...switched to all digital (called
> the "analog crush") and encrypted all the non-broadcast channels. I
> requested them to provide the "basic cable" channels as ClearQAM but
> the guy on the phone did not know (or pretended not to know) the
> difference between "digital" and "encrypted digital" and kept saying
> that the FCC mandated this. Arguing with him was futile and a later
> call to a different support person didn't go any better.
>
> As a result, both my NTSC analog capture card and the QAM tuner in my
> TV are useless.

I actually received some surprisingly intelligent responses from a
Comcast rep. when I emailed them a similar request, but of course there
was nothing useful they could do.

I don't recall how involved the FCC was (if at all) with the "cable
ready" concept, when it was first introduced decades ago, but the
situation with encrypted QAM is effectively rendering the concept of
cable ready moot.

I suspect the reason cable companies don't get more complaints when
consumers find out that they have to dangle a cable box off of the brand
new flat screen they just mounted on the wall, is because consumers just
don't know any better. The cable companies have done a good job of
setting expectations, and so consumers just assume that if they want
cable, the cable box is a necessary evil.

If you care about this, I'd recommend:

1. Emailing your cable company to complain. In theory, enough noise will
induce a change, though it may take threats to discontinue service to
have any impact. Perhaps bypassing customer service and writing to their
corporate office would work better. (Modern customer service
organizations excel at isolating companies from customer feedback.)

2. Write to the FCC to complain. I haven't looked into it yet, but I
wonder if there is an existing movement to lobby the FCC to fix this
situation. Please post a note if you're aware of anything like this.

3. Do what you can to educate non-technical consumers that almost all
TVs sold today are perfectly capable of receiving HD digital signals
from a cable system without using a set-top-box.

As cable companies continue to make it harder to watch and record the
signals they provide, they will only succeed in driving the more
technically inclined customers to other video sources. Using over the
air DTV, and replacing basic cable with BitTorrent is becoming a
practical choice, even if not a legally sound one. Though legal sources
of video on the net is steadily growing.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA