MythTV/Comcast going all digital TV in Cambridge [OT]

On Jun 29, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> I knew they had done this in other states, but wasn't aware this was
> the case in MA yet.  Do you know of any site that lists where this has
> happened?

I don't.  The conversion did start some 2-3 years ago or so.  That's
when Comcast started converting the towns on the South Shore
(Holbrook, Braintree, Randolph, etc.).

> BTW, I don't quite understand what you mean about disabling
> encryption.  There is no way they
> can turn off QAM encryption just for me.  This would have to be for
> everyone in my neighborhood.

Probably, yes.  That's the nature of cable networks.  But like I said,
Comcast is required by federal regulations to provide unencrypted
channels if you could get those channels over the air.  They have to
give it to you if you ask.

This isn't HDCP.  This is the signal on the wire from the central
office to your receiver.

--Rich P.