MythTV/Comcast going all digital TV in Cambridge [OT]

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Richard Pieri<richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Comcrap has already done this conversion in most of MA.

I knew they had done this in other states, but wasn't aware this was
the case in MA yet.  Do you know of any site that lists where this has
happened?

> Last I knew, if you could get the channel over the air then federal
> regulations require that cable providers must provide the same channel
> unencrypted. ?Digital means QAM so ClearQAM has to be in there
> somewhere. ?You may need to ask Comcast to disable encryption. ?If you
> do, don't ask for basic channels. ?Try to get it disabled on your
> whole package, and failing that all of the non-premium channels.

I get something like 70 channels via Comcast as NTSC analog at the
moment.   Most of those channels are not currently sent as clear
(unencrypted QAM).   The few  that are consist of either
over the air or shopping channels.  If the number of clear QAM
channels doesn't change, I'll lose the ability to view/record ESPN,
SciFi, and similar cable channels without a Comcast box.

BTW, I don't quite understand what you mean about disabling
encryption.  There is no way they
can turn off QAM encryption just for me.  This would have to be for
everyone in my neighborhood.
If you mean something about HDCP (HDMI encryption) that presumes I'm
using one of their cable boxes to view their offerings.  This is the
exact opposite of what I want.  I want to use my own equipment (either
QAM capable TV or computer tuner (MythTV)).   I suppose I could use a
cable-card ready TV (hard to find).  Then there are those mythical
cable-card ready set top boxes for consumers that the FCC rules were
supposed to facilitate...

Bill Bogstad