Problem resizing partition

    Jerry> What Windows version.

Vista Home Premium.

    Jerry> If you have Vista, did you try the built-in resizing
    Jerry> software.
    Jerry> <http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how-to-resize-a-partition-in-windows-vista>

I tried that.  It said "Access Denied."  I googled on that problem for a
while, and someone thought that if I disabled User Account Control and
then took ownership of the volume it would work.  I was able to disable
the User Account Control, but couldn't find where to change the
ownership of the volume.

So someone else had said they had good results with the gparted live CD,
so I burned that, and it seems to be doing the trick.

    Jerry> Also, make sure you defrag the Windows partition before
    Jerry> resizing. Unlike the Linux file systems, Windows does not try
    Jerry> to maintain a frag-free file system.

It's apparently worse than that; it deliberately puts some important
files at the end of the partition.  But if gparted turns out to clobber
my windows, I can get back the factory version, and I haven't done
anything important.

Thanks for the help.  This new computer is involving more work on
Windows than I'm used to.

I did watch a blu-ray disc last night (Slumdog Millionaire), and it is a
good thing to have access to.  I'll leave my netflix account on blu-ray
at least until I move the new computer upstairs to be my desktop.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

It can't be any new note. When you look at the keyboard, all the notes
are there already. But if you mean a note enough, it will sound
different. You got to pick the notes you really mean!

Thelonius Monk, on being asked how he got a special sound out of the piano